Wednesday, March 15, 2006

carsick

all my life (or at least for as long as i can remember), i've been highly susceptible to motion sickness. i don't travel well. a double-dose of dramamine is my best friend when traveling by plane, train or automobile.

in college, i found it extremely difficult to do any kind of research that was on microfiche.

a few years ago, i came pretty damn close to throwing up on my six-year-old nephew on the spongebob squarepants ride at great america.

at stoplights, i often get headaches if i focus too closely on the cars passing through the intersection in front of me.

i remembered all these things & more* while i was driving to walmart today with my friend D. i noticed that she had a stack of mail in her hand, and the word "macy's" on one of the envelopes caught my eye.

then i thought, "OH CRAP. I JUST READ THAT WORD."

and that's when the headache began.

and the nausea hit.

luckily, i hadn't eaten yet, so i didn't have anything in my stomach that could possibly come up in a projectile manner.

unfortunately, i hadn't eaten yet, so i didn't have anything in my stomach and all it could send up was the horribly bitter taste of bile.

i grabbed a pack of gum as soon as we got to walmart. (for future reference, one can fit an entire pack of dentyne ice arctic chill in one's mouth if two pieces are inserted at a time.)

D was there to find a housewarming gift for someone. she debated way too long over which set of dishes to buy.

i could feel the second bout of nausea coming on.

i wandered off to find myself a bottle of sprite. i must've finished that before we left the store, because i don't remember ever paying for it. come to think of it, i never paid for the gum either, but the people that work at that store are lucky i was able to keep it all down.

boy, there's nothing like the post-nausea toxic burp induced by a bottle of sprite & a pack of dentyne ice.

and hey, thanks for letting me share.

* friends reading this post need not call me tomorrow with more examples of times that i almost barfed. memories of the teacup ride at disneyland and the evil, speeding elevators at the shearaton waikiki still haunt me. don't even start in with the veils. i need some more sprite.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll always have the big pink bowl...otherwise known as my own moment of barfing glory.

*sniff* brings a tear to my eye.

3/16/2006 6:35 pm  
Blogger rachel said...

i'm putting that pink bowl in our hall of fame one day. that, and the "yo go gi" sign.

3/17/2006 9:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home